Welcome to "Five Things You Need to Know for the Weekend," a Dunwoody Patch column that sifts through the long list of events competing for your time to offer our pick of five things worth doing with your time off. Notice of future events can be sent to email@example.com.
1. Dunwoody's Spruill Center for the Arts is holding a fundraiser this weekend at the Spruill Gallery. They invite the public to come and buy works of art from emerging and established artists. Called "The Goods: Selection from the Artists' Studio," it began Feb. 10, and has been a revolving exhibit of photographs, paintings and small sculptures. Check out their Facebook page for a look at some of the works. The exhibit is at the Spruill Gallery at 4681 Ashford Dunwoody Road from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m on Saturday.
2. Friends of the Dunwoody Library are gathering at the to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. The author, otherwise known as Theodor Seuss Geisel, will have some of his best works read. The Dunwoody Library is located 5339 Chamblee Dunwoody Road. The family event is free.
3. Want to break a sweat this weekend? Montgomery Elementary School is hosting a 1-mile fun run at Murphey Candler Park as a fundraiser and as a way to raise awarenees about the importance of fitness. The race starts at 8 a.m Saturday.
4. A pre-spring ranger-led walk is being offered at the Chattahooche River National Recreation Area. Learn about the history and importance of Native Americans in the area, and see early spring flowers. The walk starts at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The recreation area parking lot is located at 1978 Island Ford Parkway in Sandy Springs.
5. Flemings Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar has a neat deal on Friday until 7 p.m. The restaurant is offering five wines, a Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from California; A Merlot and Cabarnet from Washington; and sparkling wine from Spain, each for $6 until 7 p.m. The deal, called "5 for $6 until 7," also includes appetizers and cocktails for the bar menu. The restaurant is located at 4501 Olde Perimeter Way.